Friday, March 13, 2020

Unit 8 post


After searching for an article that interested me, I found, As the use of in-class #EdTech increases Flipped Classrooms are on the riseby . I have heard the term flipped classrooms often, but have never had any experience with them. I felt it was time to learn more so I continued on with the article. Although this article didn’t go into detail about how a flipped classroom runs, it did talk a lot about the benefits to chatbots. If you are wondering what a chatbot is, as was I, I have some background information for you. Chatbots are tools that simulate conversation to provide assistance and learning.  Think voice assistants (such as Siri, Amazon Alexa, Google Home or Microsoft Cortana) or via messaging apps (like Facebook Messenger or WeChat). They went on to list some of the benefits and I have to say I am intrigued!

Some quick stats about in-class chatbot use:
By reviewing material repeatedly over time, students are better able to remember what they've learned.
Software algorithms can predict when you'll start to forget what you've learned - catering to spaced interval learning.
AI can score papers with 92% accuracy in comparison to human graders, freeing time for teachers.
Learners who receive feedback immediately show greater improvement than those who get delayed feedback.
Chatbots can track student performance and adjust the curriculum to better meet their individual needs.

Freeing up time! Immediate feedback! Yes please!

At the top of the list is that chatbots are able to assess each pupil’s knowledge, learning ability and style and then devise a curriculum especially tailored to them. Acting as a guide, the chatbot can adapt the work and course to suit the pupils’ ability. With many English Learners on different levels than the majority of their classmates, this sounds like a tool that will benefit them greatly. There also seems to be a lot of visual support along with the verbal support, giving them a more personalized learning learning experience. 

So, although by then end of the article I am still slightly confused by how exactly this is used in the classroom and what that looks like, I want to find out more!

Check out the article here.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Taryn! Thank you for the wonderful blog post! I read a blog last week that discussed a similar tool to the Chatbot. It sounds like the Chatbot is an adaptive learning technology that helps personalize learning for students. I love that it collects student data! A teacher can then use this information to inform future instruction. This form of technology is also very familiar to many students. They use Siri or Alexa at home! Does the Chatbot travel home with students? I saw that you were talking about Flipped Classroom tools, so I was just wondering what a teacher would do with the information in class. Thank you for the information regarding the Chatbot! I will have to pass the information on to my ESL teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taryn,
    I have recently learned about the advances in chatbots as there are two companies merging to form MyBuddy.ai.com. I love how you acknowledge the chatbots ability to assess the students' knowledge and learning abilities. This provides a great opportunity for the technology to adapt a curriculum that offers the necessary support for each student's needs. This will better allow the teacher to monitor the students' progress and success.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Unit 9 post

I’m not sure if I mentioned this or not, but I used to live in Florida. I moved there shortly after finishing college when there were lots ...